Bluetooth 5 is Official: The fifth generation of Bluetooth global wireless technology was announced about six months ago (June 2016), but was finalized and approved just yesterday by SIG. Couple of hours ago, The Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG) announced that it has finalized, adopted and officially approving Bluetooth 5 as the latest iteration of Bluetooth core specification.
What this means is that smart phones, wearables, computers and other internet and wireless technology related devices that will be released in the next 2-6 month above will be featuring the much improved and latest version of Bluetooth.
Major Features of Bluetooth 5.
Considering the features Bluetooth 5 is packed with, it is much more better and a worthy upgrade to Bluetooth 4.2. The major features the latest version of bluetooth brings to us when compared to its Predecessor (Bluetooth 4.2) include;
- Four Times Range: Longer range means it can easily powers whole home and building coverage, for more robust and reliable connections.
- Two Times Speed: Higher speed means more responsive, high-performance devices.
- Eight Times Broadcast Message Capacity: This increases the data sent for improved and more context relevant solutions.
- The latest Bluetooth version will be much more appreciated when used in smart homes and Internet of Things.
- Reduce Interference With Other Wireless Technologies: This means Bluetooth devices can now coexist within the increasingly complex global IoT environment.
All what this mean is that it will be much appreciated when integrated into smart homes and Internet of Things (IoT). With this, bluetooth can do what it does best i.e linking a host of different products together in a simple and secure manner.
According to the SIG’s executive director Mark Powell, Bluetooth is revolutionizing how people experience the IoT. Bluetooth 5 continues to drive this revolution by delivering reliable IoT connections and mobilizing the adoption of beacons, which in turn will decrease connection barriers and enable a seamless IoT experience.
The latest Bluetooth version doesn’t come with improvement for telephone calls, audio playback and sound quality in general.
While we wait for devices with Bluetooth 5, do let us know what you think of it.