Few Hours Left: Upgrade to Windows 10 Using Media Creation Tool and ISO File.
Upgrade to windows 10 is free for users running windows 7, windows 8 and windows 8.1, it will remain as such for just a year (July 2016). Windows 10 comes with a lot of new features, from cortana digital assistance, Microsoft edge browser to task view, customizable start menu etc. You can upgrade to windows 10 in two different ways, you can either use windows 10 media creation tool or windows 10 ISO file. You only have just few hours left to upgrade for free.
Media creation tool allow you to upgrade to windows 10 directly or do clean installation or create an installation media for other computers, but if you are using an ISO file, you must first create an installation media using a DVD or USB drive and then use it for upgrade or clean installation.
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN CLEAN INSTALLATION AND UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10
- If you do clean installation, all your files, settings, drivers and apps will be deleted, you will also have the option to install on another drive while upgrading will just add the new features, more apps and settings to the existing ones, but you will retain your files.
- If you upgrade to windows 10 on your PC, Microsoft will take the product key and activation details from your earlier OS and use it to activate your windows 10 after the upgrade process while clean installation may make you face activation problem. You can later do clean installation after first upgrading to avoid facing the activation issue.
Below is the minimum system requirement to upgrade to windows 10
- A Pc with at least 1GHz processor.
- 1GB RAM for 32-bit and 2GB RAM for the 64-bit version.
- At least 16GB Hard Disk.
- 4GB flash drive.
- Rufus, a free utility for creating bootable USB drives or DVD burner tool.
- Windows 10 ISO file or Media creation tool.
Before you start the windows 10 upgrade process, make sure you backup important data to an external drive.
CREATE WINDOWS 10 INSTALLATION MEDIA USING MICROSOFT MEDIA CREATION TOOL
This tool includes file formats optimized for fast download and built-in media creation options for USB & DVDs. You can then upgrade to windows 10 with it.
- Navigate to Microsoft website and download the media creation tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10).
- Run it on your windows computer and a window with the license terms will popup, Accept it and click Next.
- On the next screen, you will have options to either Upgrade this PC now or Create installation media for another PC. The first option allow you to upgrade your computer directly without using a USB flash drive or DVD while the second option will create an installation media that can be used to upgrade another PC on a USB drive or create an ISO file which you can burn to a DVD later.
- Since we want to create an installation media, we will choose the second option.
- Select your language, windows 10 edition (Pro, Home or Enterprise) and system type (32 bit or 64 bit). You can check your system type and windows edition by navigating to control panel >> System and Security >> System.
- The next screen will ask you to choose the media to use, which can be a USB drive or DVD. Choosing any of the media will initiate the downloading of windows 10. If you choose USB drive, plug an empty 4GB flash drive and select it.
- Once the download is complete, the tool will automatically initiate the creation of windows 10 media.
- Once the creation of windows 10 media is ready, if you chose USB flash drive in step 3 above, you now have a bootable windows 10 USB flash drive. If you chose create an ISO file in step 3, you will have options to either open the location where the ISO file was saved or to open a DVD Burner software to burn the created ISO file to a DVD disc.
- Either you create a bootable flash drive or create an ISO file and later burn it on a DVD, open the folder and look for setup.exe file and run it to upgrade to windows 10 or do clean installation.
CREATE WINDOWS 10 INSTALLATION MEDIA FROM ISO FILE
For those that already has windows 10 ISO file and want to create an installation media from it, follow the steps below. Also, if you want to upgrade to windows 10 with November Update (Windows 10 first Major Update) directly, you will have to do so via an ISO file which is not available from Microsoft site but on sites like getintopc. Follow these steps to create an installation media from windows 10 ISO file. You can either use a USB flash drive or a DVD.
- Download Windows 10 ISO file (either the original windows 10 or November update) for your windows edition and system type and place it on your desktop or any location you can easily remember.
- Download Rufus (https://rufus.akeo.ie/), a free utility that can create bootable windows 10 from bootable ISO file.
- Plug an empty flash drive with at least 4GB of storage to your Pc and run Rufus. Rufus will automatically detect the flash and list it under Device. But if doesn’t detect it automatically, select the flash drive manually.
- Make sure that the Create a bootable disk using option box is checked, click on the drop-down menu in front of this option and select ISO Image. Also in front of this option, click on the drive icon, navigate to the location you saved Windows 10 ISO file, select it and hit Start button on Rufus.
- This might take up to 15-30 minutes depending on your Pc. Wait for Rufus to complete the creation of the installation media on your flash drive, remove it and close Rufus.
- You can use the USB drive to upgrade to windows 10 or do clean installation. You can also use DVD burner to burn the ISO file on your DVD to create an installation media on it. You will agree that upgrade to windows 10 is easy.
UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10 USING CREATED INSTALLATION MEDIA
We have been busy creating windows 10 installation media since, below is the steps needed to upgrade to windows 10 or create a clean windows 10 installation on your Windows 7 or windows 8.1 computer.
- Plug the USB flash drive or insert the DVD that contains the windows 10 installation media, double click on setup.exe file, a new window will pop-up asking if you want to download updates now or later, choose the one you want and click Next.
- You will see the setup getting a few things ready, once its ready, you will be asked to Accept the license terms.
- On the next screen, you will see Making Sure Your Pc Is Ready For Installation Message, then check if your Pc have enough memory and if your Pc have met the minimum requirement as above, you should see ready to install message.
- Click on the Install to initiate the installation process.
- Your Pc will restart several times during the installation process, once the installation is completed, login and you can either Use Express setting or Customize.
- Finally, you will be taken to your new windows 10 desktop. Wow, you upgrade to windows 10.
To do clean installation of windows 10, Make sure your BIOS settings allow you to boot from a USB.
- Plug the USB drive with windows 10 into your Pc and restart your Pc.
- On restart, your PC will boot from the flash drive and start windows 10 installation. You will have the option to choose the system drive you want to install windows 10 on and or if you want to format the drive.
If you have any problem while creating installation media or trying to upgrade to windows 10 on your computer, tablet or phone, kindly make use of the comment box.
Is this tutorial helpful? Kindly use the social button to share with your friends. Happy Upgrade to windows 10. Upgrade for free now before it is too late.