Guide to Turn Off Windows Update in Windows 10.
To turn off windows update in Windows 10 is not as easy as it is on previous version of windows operating system. Though not also hard, but only if you have the guide like this one.
Unlike in previous version of Windows, it is not easy to manage or turn Off update in windows 10. In previous versions of windows OS, you have four different options to turn off windows update.
- Install updates automatically (Recommended).
- Download Updates but choose when to install them.
- Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them.
- Never check for updates (Not Recommended).
As you all know, these options give us full control over windows update and makes managing them easy. In windows 10 excluding the enterprise edition, available updates are automatically downloaded and you only have control over when to install them.
Yes, you can’t turn off windows update directly in windows 10 via the settings app, but you can do so via the group policy editor, Windows registry or by just setting your connection to metered.
Apart from turning off update in windows 10, you can make it notify you immediately there is an update and let’s you decide what to do with it.
Remember to always create a restore point before you proceed so that you can easily go back to your earlier settings if anything goes wrong.
Best Ways to Turn Off Windows Update in Windows 10.
This article will present you with three different methods to turn off update in Win 10.
First Method: Using Windows Update Services.
This is not the easiest method to turn off windows update in windows 10, but it works for all editions of windows 10.
- Right click on windows 10 start menu and click on Control Panel.
- Click on System and Security >> Administrative Tools >> Services >> Windows Update.
- Right click on windows update and select properties or double click on Windows Update to access its properties.
- Click on the General tab and look for Startup type option. Click on the drop down menu and select Disabled.
- Click on Apply, then OK and restart your computer.
- Voila, you have successfully turn off windows update on your windows 10 PC.
Second Method: Using Group Policy Editor (GPE).
If you are running an edition of windows 10 that has group policy editor, you can also turn off update in windows 10 using the GPE.
- Open up the Run dialogue box by Holding the Win + R key or right click on the start menu and click on Run.
- Type gpedit.msc into the Run dialogue box search bar and hit enter key to open group policy editor.
- Click on Computer Configuration >> Administrative Templates >> Windows Components >> Windows Update.
- Right click on Configure Automatic Updates and click on Edit.
- A new window will pop up, select Disabled >> Apply >> OK to turn off windows update in windows 10 computer.
- Restart your Pc.
Third Method: Turning On Metered Connection.
You can also disable automatic update in windows 10 by turning On metered connection.
Navigate to Settings app >> Network & Internet >> WiFi >> Advanced options. Move slider to On position for Set as metered connection option.
You might not see this option if you are on Anniversary Update.
Get Notification Before Downloading & Installing Update.
This option is more preferred to completely turn Off windows update in windows 10. This settings will notify you when an update is available and you will decide whether to download it or Not.
First Method: Using Group Policy Editor.
Navigate to Configure Automatic Update as explained above in the Second method of how to turn off windows 10 update using group policy editor.
- When you get to step 5, instead of the Disabled option selected above, select the enabled option.
- Click on the drop down menu under Configure automatic updating and select the Notify for download and notify for install option.
- Click on Apply and then Ok.
- You can also schedule installation of downloaded updates via the Scheduled install day and time drop down menu.
- Restart your windows 10 Pc.
- You will see a grayed out Notify to download button and a notification saying some settings are managed by your organization, if you navigate to Windows Update Settings.
- A pop up saying You need some updates will appear when updates are available.
Second Method: Using Windows Registry.
For those whose edition of windows 10 doesn’t have the group policy editor, you can also make windows 10 notify you of download and install of update by tweaking the Windows registry. Make sure to create a restore point before you proceed.
- Open up the Run dialogue box (Win + Run key), type regedit and hit the enter key.
Navigate to the path below.
- Create a new key under Windows key and set its name as WindowsUpdate.
- Next, create another key under it and name it AU.
- Now under this path, in the right pane, create a new DWORD AUOptions:
- Set its value to 2.
- Exit the registry editor and restart the computer.
That’s all on how to disable or turn off windows update in windows 10. Kindly make use of the sharing buttons below.