Fellow Nigerians and MTN 4G Network Lovers, the wait is officially over as MTN Nigeria makes their 4G LTE service available for all states in Nigeria. Following the acquisition of Visafone by MTN earlier in 2016, they have launched their 4G network and makes data plans available for Nigerians, but previously only in selected states. Their 4G LTE is now available in all states and to use 4g data plan 2021, you must be using a compatible phone and must have swapped your sim for 4g sim card.
To make things easier for its subscribers/users, MTN Nigeria makes available a short message code that can be easily used to confirm if your smartphone is compatible or can use 4g data plans. If compatible, you can then go to a nearest MTN office and get a 4g sim card.
How to Check if My Phone is Compatible with MTN 4G Network?
Your phone must be 4G enabled. If not, don’t bother.
- Text 4G to 131.
- If your smart phone is compatible, you will receive a message that Yello! Your device is 4G ready but you need to upgrade your SIM to enjoy MTN LTE. Please visit the nearest MTN store or partner retailer for a sim swap now.
- If your phone is not compatible, you will receive a message that Yello! You need to upgrade your SIM card and device to enjoy MTN LTE. Please visit the nearest MTN store or partner retailer to upgrade now.
- For those with compatible smartphones with MTN LTE, kindly visit any nearest MTN office and get yourself a 4G Sim Card.
MTN 4G Data Plans and How to Subscribe.
If you have confirmed your phone is compatible with 4g service from mtn and have gotten yourself a 4g sim card, dial *444# to check and choose mtn plan suitable for you. Below are some of the plans.
- 100MB for N500 (Valid for 7 days).
- 150MB for N499 (Valid for 24 hours).
- 200MB for N1000 (Valid for 30 days).
- Unlimited data for N36,999 (Valid for 30 days).
- 42GB for N66499 (Valid for 12 Months).
- 10GB for N6000 (Valid for 30 days).
- 15GB for N10,000 (Valid for 30 days).
October 28 2016 Update: The 4G Sim Card cost N550 naira here in PH and it is a welcome back Sim. So don’t create a scene at mtn office when there is no indication of 4G on the pack you are given.
Another thing is, you need a valid ID card (Student or NIMC temporary card will also work) and you will be given a little form to fill. It contains details like Name, Mother’s Maiden name, phone number you want to swap, numbers you frequently call, tariff plan you are on, Date of Birth, last amount recharge etc.
The whole thing takes about 6-10 minutes and you are done. Your new sim card will start working after 4-6 hours. Dial *131*4# to get your own free 4G network 5GB data. You can check your data balance by dialing *559*62#.
February 2020 Update: The same data plans that works for 3G now works for 4G. Meaning the above bundles have been deprecated.
That’s it on MTN 4G network plan and sim card. Do let us know what you think.