How does NIN-SIM linkage work? How do I link up my sim with my NIN? Can I link two Sims to my NIN? How do I know if my line is linked to NIN? How do I link my NIN to MTN App? Can I link my NIN to more than one phone number? Can one person have two NIN? Can I use someone’s NIN to link my line?
I’m sure you are well aware that the Federal Government through the Nigerian Communications Commission has directed all network operators in Nigeria to make sure that all SIM cards are linked to a National Identification Number, otherwise, your line will be blocked after the deadline date.
See Also: Abuja postal code (The full list)
NIN-SIM Linkage Deadline
The Federal Government has severally approved an extension of the NIN-SIM linkage deadline in 2021 before the latest deadline that ended 31st of March, 2022.
However, the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Prof. Isa Ali Ibrahim (Pantami) has further directed that the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) should offer enrolment services round-the-clock for the next few days for citizens and legal residents to complete the NIN SIM linkage.
But any telecom subscriber who fails to link his Sim with his NIN will be blocked when the enforcement begins, which is a date yet to be decided.
But don’t panic as I have put together some useful tips on linking your NIN to your SIM registration records, regardless of the mobile network operator you use.
See Also: How To Vote In Nigeria During Elections
Requirements for NIN registration in Nigeria
You will need some supporting documents when you walk into the nearest NIN Enrolment Centre in any of the 774 Local Government Areas in Nigeria with your BVN (if you have one). You will also need any of the following:
- Mobile Number
- Full Name
- Email Address
- Date of birth
Requirements for NIN-SIM linkage for Corporate Customers
For corporate customers of any of the networks, you will need some supporting documents as well for the NIN enrolment:
- Tax Clearance Certificate
- List of Secondary NINs along with first name and last name in a csv file
- Indemnity Form
- Authorization Letter
- CAC Document
Please note that there is no service fee as NIN enrolment is FREE!
NIN-SIM Linkage Codes For MTN, Glo, Airtel, 9Mobile
How To Link NIN To MTN Line
- Visit https://mtnonline.com/nin/
- Or dial *785#
- Read more at https://twitter.com/MTN180/status/1339513283649396738
- You can also visit an MTN service centre close to you.
How To Link NIN To Airtel Mobile Number
- Visit https://www.airtel.com.ng/nin/
- Or you can dial *121*1#
- Read more at https://twitter.com/AirtelNigeria/status/1339540960146034689
- You can also visit an Airtel service centre close to you.
How To Link Nin To 9mobile/Etisalat
- Visit http://www.9mobile.com.ng/nin
- Or you can dial *200*8#
- You can visit a 9mobile service centre close to you.
How To Link NIN to Glo
- Visit https://www.gloworld.com/ng/nin/
- SMS “UPDATENIN NIN FirstName LastName” to 109
- Read more at https://twitter.com/GloWorld/status/1339860485571788804
- You can also visit a Glo service centre close to you.
How To Use NIMC Mobile ID App To Link NIN to your Mobile Numbers
- Get the app at https://nimc.gov.ng/mobile-digital-id/
- Open the app and log in with your security PIN.
- Tap on ‘My Devices’ button on the bottom right part of your dashboard on the app.
- Tap on ‘Add Mobile Number’ and input the mobile phone number you wish to link.
- Next input the OTP sent to that mobile phone number.
- You can link up to seven (7) mobile phone numbers.
That’s all on NIN-SIM linkage. But if you’ve forgotten your NIN, you can dial *346# on your phone to retrieve it. Alternatively, you can visit any NIMC office close to you.
And do note that your NIN is stored electronically within the chip on your National e-ID card and can only be accessed using an authorised card reader. The number printed on your card is NOT your NIN, it is the Primary Account Number (PAN) used for accessing your card’s payment feature once activated.
This article was most recently revised and updated on June 24, 2022