Driver Signature Enforcement is a security measure Microsoft Corp. integrated into Windows computers to prevent installation of digitally unsigned drivers. You have to first permanently disable driver signature enforcement in windows 10, 8.1 and 8 before you can install any digitally unsigned drivers (Drivers that are not recognize and recommended by Microsoft). Before you install an unsigned driver on your Pc, make sure you trust its source.
Driver Signature Enforcement in windows 8, 8.1 and windows 10 is known as Driver Signature Verification in windows 7. It can be easily disable and not as effective as driver signature enforcement. If at one point in time you have to install a digitally unsigned driver on your windows Pc and you see error like “This is not a digitally signed driver”, you can then follow the steps below to disable Driver Signature Enforcement in windows 10, 8.1 and 8.
HOW TO PERMANENTLY DISABLE DRIVER SIGNATURE ENFORCEMENT IN WINDOWS 10
Procedure to permanently disable driver signature enforcement in windows 10 is quite similar to that of windows 8 and 8.1, but totally different from that of windows 7.
Open the Settings app by navigating to the Start menu or Action center and click on Settings or All settings respectively.
- Click on Update and Security.
- On the left pane of the applet, click on Recovery.
- Under the Advance Startup heading, click on the Restart now button.
- From the next screen, navigate to Troubleshoot >> Advance Settings >> Windows Startup Settings >> Restart.
- Your windows PC will restart and you will have access to list of Startup settings you can change.
- Choose disable Driver Signature Enforcement from the list by typing 7 with your Keyboard or by pressing the F7 key and your Pc will restart to the normal windows 10 screen.
- You can now install digitally unsigned drivers on your windows 10 Pc without much effort.
- Note that the above step is only temporary, once you reboot your windows 10 computer, Driver Signature Enforcement will be restored/enabled.
- To permanently disable driver signature enforcement in windows 10, open up elevated command prompt as Administrator and run the code below. Restart your Pc
bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks on
- Run this code to enable driver signature enforcement back in windows 10 PC.
bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks off
Note: If you see any warning message while trying to install the driver, click Install this driver software anyway.
DISABLE DRIVER SIGNATURE ENFORCEMENT IN WINDOWS 8 and 8.1
- Hold the Win + C key.
- Click on settings (The gear icon).
- Click on Pc settings.
- On windows 8 computer, click on General >> Under Advance Startup >> Restart now.
- On windows 8.1 computer, from Pc Settings, scroll down and click on Update & Recovery.
- Scroll down to Recovery and click on the Restart button.
- Follow the same procedure as that of windows 10 above from step 4.
DISABLE DRIVER SIGNATURE VERIFICATION IN WINDOWS 7
As i said earlier, this security measure is called driver signature verification in windows 7 and below is how to disable it. Why i said this security measure is not effective in windows 7 is because some unsigned drivers will install with driver signature verification enabled.
- Hold the Win + R keys to open windows Run dialogue box.
- Type gpedit.msc into the box to open Local Group Policy Editor.
- Navigate to the following path User Configuration. Administrative Templates >> System >> Driver installation >> double click on code signing for device drivers.
- Select Enabled in the Window that pop-up, choose ignore from the drop-down menu under Options heading.
- Click on Apply and then OK. Restart your Pc.
- You can now install any digitally unsigned drivers on your windows 7 computer.
With this tutorial, you will be able to permanently disable driver signature enforcement in windows 10 computers.
Feel free to share this tutorial with friends using the social sharing button.