Whatsapp Status: Everything you Need to Know (Pros, Cons & Settings).
Whatsapp status is now official and all you need to do is update your app on play store or apple store. But was the update really necessary? Users across the world are reacting to the new whatsapp feature that allows you upload pictures, videos and gifs as against the old text status update. Just navigate through twitter with hashtag whatsapp status (#whatsappstatus) and you will see numerous users has already voiced their concerns about the new update. From the reaction/concerns have read so far, most users are angry with the absent of the old text option plus the fact that they have to post new status every 24 hours.
What is Whatsapp Status & What Inspire the Update?
Couple of days ago (February 20 2017), whatsapp announce the coming of a new whatsapp status that will allow users to upload pictures, videos and gifs as their status and it cut numerous users attention. The update started rolling out to users on both iOS and Android OS at the early hour of yesterday (February 24 2017) and most people frowned at the update for similar reasons.
What is whatsapp status? Well it is a new whatsapp feature that allows you to share photos, videos and animated gifs which will disappear after 24 hours and are visible to all contacts in your phone’s address book. It comes with some cons and few pros.
What inspire the new update? According to a post on whatsapp official blog,
“It was just eight years ago, in February 2009, when we started writing the first lines of code for what would eventually become WhatsApp. The original idea behind the project was to build an application that lets your friends and other contacts know what you’re up to. This was months before we added messaging.
Even after we added messaging in the summer of 2009, we kept the basic “text only” status functionality in WhatsApp. Every year, when Brian and I would plan projects to work on, we always talked about improving and evolving this original “text only” status feature.
We are excited to announce that, coinciding with WhatsApp’s 8th birthday on February 24, we are reinventing the status feature. Starting today, we are rolling out an update to status, which allows you to share photos and videos with your friends and contacts on WhatsApp in an easy and secure way. Yes, even your status updates are end-to-end encrypted.”
Whatsapp Status Pros and Cons.
Once you update the app, the old status disappears and all you have left is username and phone number.
- You can no longer have a text status after the update. You can only post pictures, videos and animated gifs as your new status, but not text.
- The most furstrating part of the update is that your status will only last for 24 hours. Meaning you will have to post/upload/share new status every 24 hours. Stressful right? And that’s not all.
- You have to do some extra navigation to view your contact list because it no longer has a tab dedicated to it. To view your contacts, tap on a message icon at the top right corner of the app. The message icon appears only on the chat tab and not the status or calls or video tabs.
- Well one and only amazing pro of the update is the ability to share gifs, pictures and videos with friends and family. You have to admit it is an amazing feature.
How to Use Whatsapp Status (Privacy settings & Manage Status Update).
Now that you know what the new whatsapp feature is all about, we can now proceed to how to use it.
How to View & Reply Contacts Status Update.
To view someone’s status update, tap the Status tab and select the contact’s status. To reply to one of your contact’s status updates, tap Reply at the bottom of the screen while viewing their status.
How to Add a Status Update.
To add your own status update,
- Navigate to the status tab.
- Tap the status icon.
- You can take a new photo or record a new video, or choose an existing one from the picker, then tap the send button.
You can also add a caption, emoji, text and freehand drawings to your photos and videos.
How to Change Status Privacy Settings.
As said earlier, your status updates can only be seen by people whose numbers are saved in your phone’s address book. You can choose to share your status updates with all of your contacts, or with selected contacts only. Default settings is to share your update with all your contacts.
To change your status privacy,
- Swipe to the status tab.
- Tap the Menu Button >> Status privacy.
- Choose who can see your status updates.
- Changes made to your privacy settings won’t affect already sent status updates.
- If you have disabled Read Receipts, you will not be able to see who’s viewed your status update.
- If a contact has disabled Read Receipts, you will not be able to see that they have viewed your status update.
How to Manually delete a Status Update.
Status updates automatically disappear after 24 hours. You can also manually delete a status update, which removes it from your contact’s phones.
To manually delete a status update,
- Go to the Status tab.
- Tap the three dots next to My status >> tap and hold your status update.
- Tap the trash can icon >> Delete.
How to Mute and Unmute a Contact’s Whatsapp Status Update.
You can mute the status updates of a particular contact so they won’t appear at the top of the status list anymore.
To mute a status update,
- Go to the Status screen.
- Tap and hold your contact’s status update.
- Tap Mute.
To un-mute a status update,
- Navigate to the Status tab.
- Scroll down to see the Muted statuses and tap and hold your contact’s status update.
- Tap Un-mute.
That’s all on the new whatsapp status feature, its pros and cons, how to use and manage it. Kindly make use of the comment box about the update and don’t forget to share this article with your friends and family using the social sharing buttons below.