Despite the few down side of the Nokia 8 sirocco, it is still one of the best android smartphone you want to own in 2018.
Sirocco took Nokia 8 (launched in 2017), fixed the few things wrong with it and upgraded all its department except for the processor.
Nokia Sirocco is HMD Global’s 2018 flagship unveiled to compete with other manufacturer’s flagship of the year speaking of the Galaxy S9 (Plus) and Huawei P20 Pro.
It was shown to the world for the first time in February 2018 at the mobile world congress (MWC). However, it wasn’t available for purchase until April 2018.
Nokia sirocco might not feature the current most powerful qualcomm processor (Snapdragon 845) seen on the samsung galaxy s9 or the recently launched OnePlus 6, it isn’t a flagship to sneeze on.
Unboxing Nokia 8 Sirocco.
Below are the items you will find inside the box the NK 8 sirocco comes in with.
- The phone itself.
- Protective Cover.
- SIM Tray Ejector.
- Charging/data cable (A-C).
- Audio adapter.
- USB Type-C wired headset.
- Quick guide.
Nokia Sirocco Eye Catching Specs.
With the specs below, you will agree with me that sirocco is indeed an upgrade to the 2017 Nokia 8.
- Design: Stainless Steel frame with Gorilla Glass 5 front and back.
- Screen: 5.5-inch p-OLED with Quad HD Resolution.
- Processor: Octa Core Snapdragon 835 with Adreno 540 GPU.
- Software: Android 8.0 Oreo (Android one).
- Network: 2G, 3G, 4G LTE (Supports all lte bands in Nigeria).
- Camera: 12MP + 13MP Dual rear camera and 5MP Selfie Camera.
- Battery: Non removable 3260 mAh with Quick Charge 4.0 and Qi wireless charging.
- Memory: 6GB RAM and 128GB internal storage. That’s it, no external storage slot.
Nokia 8 Sirocco Review & Specifications.
Sirocco is a Nokia 8 with 3D glass 5 display, bigger storage & battery, larger screen with better quality, Qi wireless and designed out of more premium material.
Nokia sirocco sports the same design quality seen on most 2018 flagships, all glass design. We saw it on the Huawei P20 Pro and OnePlus 6.
Sirocco however has it frames made of stainless steel for more premium look and feel.
In summary, this device is a product of 3D corning gorilla glass 5 front and back as well as steel frame.
I was a bit disappointed with the outdated 16:9 aspect ratio view on the sirocco considering most 2018 flagships feature the trending full view display (18:9 or 19:9 aspect ratio).
But the launch of Nokia 7 plus with the 18:9 aspect ratio and Nokia X6 featuring the 19:9 (with notch) display might mean HMD Global next flagship will be coming with full view.
Above the display are the selfie camera, earpiece and proximity sensor. And while the bottom bezel hosting the navigation buttons is still there as seen in 2017 phones, sirocco makes use of on-screen navigation.
The fingerprint scanner has been moved to the rear below the dual camera.
On top is IR blaster while the bottom host the speaker and usb type-c port. On the sides are the power, volume buttons (right) and sim tray slot (left).
Nokia 8 sirocco is a 5.5-inch P-OLED display smartphone with 1440 x 2560 pixels (QHD) screen resolution and 534 PPI pixel density protected by corning gorilla glass 5.
This device display is lit and one of the best in market right now. Talking about exciting features, it is IP67 certified means you can use the device 1.5m under water for up to 30 minutes.
To say multimedia experience (watching movies, browsing the internet and gaming) on this device is anything less of amazing is an understatement.
Hardware, Software & Memory.
Nokia sirocco is powered by the same Octa Core Snapdragon 835 processor with Adreno 540 GPU on the 2017 Nokia 8.
Even at that, the Nokia 8 sirocco was able to open and run heavy apps and high end 3D games very fast without lagging. Multi-tasking is also fluid on this device.
The Nokia flagship runs on Android 8.0 Oreo out of the box and being an android-one means it get constant security update and fast upgrade to the latest version of android operating system.
Its processing power is assited by 6GB RAM and 128GB internal storage.
Camera, Battery & Connectivity.
On the camera department, nokia 8 sirocco sports dual 12MP Wide (2L7, 1.4um, 2PD, f/1.7, FOV 78.2″) + 13MP Telephoto (3M3, 1.0um, f/2.6, FOV47.3″) rear camera with dual-tone flash, Zeiss optics, dual pixel phase detection autofocus, 2x optical zoom.
It selfie camera is 5 MP with f/2.0 aperture, S.LSI 4E8, 1.4um, display flash.
The camera takes very clear and natural shots in both normal and low light environment.
NK 8 sirocco is packed with 3260 mAh battery capacity that conveniently last up to a day of fair usage.
It supports dual nano sim, 4G LTE (all lte bands in Nigeria), Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0, GPS, NFC and USB Type-C. It is available only in black color.
Price of Nokia 8 Sirocco in Nigeria.
Unlike the likes of Nokia 7 Plus, Sirocco is not officially available in Nigeria but you can order for it from abroad yourself or via Jumia Global for 235,000 Naira – 245,000 Naira.
Full Specifications of Nokia 8 Sirocco.
- Dimension: 140.93 x 72.97 x 7.5 mm.
- Screen size: 5.5-inch P-OLED with curved 3D Glass.
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5. IP67 certified (dust and water resistant).
- Screen Resolution: 1440 x 2560 pixels (Quad HD).
- Pixel Density: 534 PPI.
- Body: Steel frame and Glass (front and rear).
- 2G: Yes.
- 3G: Yes.
- 4G LTE: Yes.
- SIM Type: Dual Nano SIM.
Operating System & Processor.
- Android version: Android 8.0 Oreo.
- Processor Type: 64-bit Qualcomm Snapdragon 835.
- Processor Speed: 8-Cores or Octa Core (quad core 2.5 GHz Kryo + quad core 1.8 GHz Kryo).
- Graphics Processor: Adreno 540.
- Rear Camera: Dual 12 MP Wide (2L7, 1.4um, 2PD, f/1.7, FOV 78.2″) + 13 MP Tele (3M3, 1.0um, f/2.6, FOV47.3″) with dual led flash.
- Features: Dual pixel phase detection autofocus, Zeiss optics, 2x optical zoom.
- Video Recording: 1080p@30fps, 4K.
- Front Camera: 5 MP, S.LSI 4E8, 1.4um, display flash.
- RAM: 6GB.
- Internal Storage Memory: 128GB.
- SD card Slot: No.
- Non-removable 3260 mAh Li-Ion. Support quick charge 4.0 & Qi wireless charging.
- Accelerometer, Proximity, Compass, Barometer, Fingerprint, Gyroscope.
- Bluetooth: v5.0.
- USB: USB Type-C.
- GPS: A-GPS, BDS, Glonass.
- Wi-Fi: WI Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Wi-Fi direct, hotspot, dual band.
- Audio/Music Support: MP3, EAAC, WMA, WAV.
- Loudspeaker: Yes.
- Video Support: MPEG4, MP4, H.263, H.264.
- FM Radio: Yes.
There you have it nokia 8 sirocco. Let’s know what you think about the device. Kindly make use of the social sharing buttons below.