What is the harvesting and marketing of catfish like in Nigeria? How do I sell my catfish? How much is 1kg of catfish in Nigeria? How do catfish get buyers? How much does catfish cost in Nigeria? When catfish can be harvested? What is the process of catfish farming? How do you harvest fish?
See Also: Catfish Farming Business In Nigeria
Harvesting And Marketing Of Catfish
With effect from the fifth month of stocking, if the fish are well fed, they should be due for harvest.
But you may still want to leave them for up to one year or more based on your commercial preference, or your customers’ preference.
You may still want to leave them for a while between 3 to 5 months so as to get your broodstock from them.
How To Harvest Catfish
- For concrete ponds, adjust the water drain pipe downwards or depending on the type, pump out the pond water with a petrol-powered water pumping machine
- For earthen ponds, pump out the pond water with a petrol-powered water pumping machine
- Allow water to drain completely
- Pick up the fish, put them in plastic basins and wash them with clean water
- To weigh them, put them in an agro sack and weigh them using a hand scale
- To transport them, put them in plastic basins, half-filled with good freshwater, cover the plastic with an aerated lid and secure the lid with a heavy object
How To Sell Catfish In Nigeria
Prior to the day of harvest, pass information to your prospective customers and other buyers.
The information should spell out the date, time of harvest and possibly the quantity of expected harvest. Your potential customers consist of:
- Market women (fish sellers): they are the most aggressive buyers
- Hoteliers, restaurant operators, pepper soup joints, etc.
- Catering companies and 3 to 5-star hotels: they require bigger fish which are more expensive
- Fingerlings producers (hatchery operators): they will buy for use as broodstock
- Individual high volume buyers and consumers
- The export market, and the fish or general foodstuff exporter; but note that you may not even be able to satisfy the demands f the local market within your immediate environment not to talk of export. So the export market may not be necessary after all, except of course you are insisting on it.
This article was most recently revised and updated on April 10, 2022