Where can I find a complete list of NYSC CDS groups? What’s the full meaning of CDS? Which is the best CDS group? Are CDS compulsory for corpers? What are NYSC CDS all about? What happens when you miss NYSC CDS? How many types of CDS do we have in NYSC? What are the roles of NYSC in community development? What is the Community Development Service?
NYSC Community Development Service (CDS) is a year-round affair and through the programme members of the NYSC work with the local communities to promote self-reliance by systematically prospecting and executing development projects and programmes which impact positively on the socio-economic development of the host communities.
So basically, that’s what Corpers do at CDS.
Meanwhile, the NYSC CDS is categorized into two main categories:
1. Group Community Development Service
Group CDS are projects/programmes executed by groups of corp members. It is compulsory and failure of a corp member to participate in their assigned group will lead to appropriate sanction(s) according to NYSC bye-law.
2. Personal/Individual Community Development Service (Personal/Individual CDS)
These projects/programmes are the ones executed by individual corps members in their host communities based on Community felt-needs. It could be construction projects like the building of toilets, incinerators, bridges, classrooms, games facilities for schools etc or social/educational projects such as the establishment of ICT laboratory, school libraries, extra-mural classes, campaigns, charity work, vocational training for empowerment of unemployed youths etc.
Personal CDS isn’t compulsory.
See Also: NYSC Bye-laws/NYSC Act Fully Detailed
Importance Of CDS In NYSC
The NYSC has four cardinal programmes that every corp member must participate in and the CDS is one of them.
This is done so that corps members contribute positively to the development of their host communities throughout the period of national service.
CDS is a secondary assignment and is compulsory for every corp member.
The NYSC CDS groups in Lagos are the same as every State in Nigeria. So don’t think working your redeployment to Lagos will make your CDS any different.
Punishment For Missing NYSC CDS
A biometric attendance of serving corps members of the CDS programme to capture their data through fingerprints with scanners will make it difficult for any corper to miss the CDS.
The reason for the biometric attendance is so that no one signs the attendance register and card for another person during the CDs days as it would be impossible for someone to have another person’s fingerprints.
So what happens if you miss NYSC CDS is that no monthly biometric clearance and weekly attendance of CDS, no monthly allowance for such corp members.
How many hours is NYSC CDS that you want to miss it?
This is something that is held just once a week but until the end of your service year.
Usually, this programme commences by 10.00 am and in about two hours you are done with your CDS.
Corpers are not expected to attend duties in their Places of Primary assignment on CDS days which usually falls on Wednesdays or Thursdays.
What are the CDS groups in NYSC? Let’s see the list of NYSC CDS groups I compiled.
List Of CDS Groups In NYSC
NYSC CULTURAL & TOURISM CDS Group (Band, Dance, Drama & Tourism)
- Promoting arts and Culture
- Dissemination of vital socio-economic and political problems and prospects
- Identifying talents
- Setting up of the schemes theatre groups
NYSC SPORTS CDS Group
- Creates avenue for recreation and healthy rivalry among corps members and the community.
- Arousing the consciousness of living healthy and purposeful lifestyles through participation in one form of physical activity or the other.
- Identify talents among Corps members
- Participation in Sports competitions
- Identifying and Training members of the Community
- Organizing Sports Competitions
MILLENNIUM DEVELOPMENT GOALS (MDGs) NYSC CDS GROUP
- To create awareness and actualize the 8 goals of MDGs
- Advocacy and Mentoring of the host community
AGRO-ALLIED NYSC CDS Group
- Support agro-allied activities in host communities
- To promote better food production and security
- Demonstration farms/Extension Services
- Establishment of Farmers Cooperative Societies
- Teaching of new farming techniques to communities
CORPS LEGAL AID GROUP (CLAG)
- Provide free legal services to the less privileged and indigent prison inmates (Victims of denials and violation of rights)
- Sensitized the public on fundamental human rights
- Visit to prison
- Legal service to inmates and indigenes of host community
- Public lecture and awareness on fundamental human rights
ROAD SAFETY CLUB (RSC) NYSC CDS Group
- To contribute to public safety on our roads
- Sensitization and control of traffic
- Rendering first aid to accident victims
- Establishment of road safety clubs in school.
SERVICE DELIVERY NYSC CDS Group ( Attitudinal Change, Re-Branding)
- Sensitization on Service delivery and good work ethics.
- Group discussions on value re-orientation
REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH & HIV/AIDS GROUP
- To train and mentor Students
- To mobilize and strengthen community based responses on HIV/AIDS prevention
- Sensitization and Campaign
ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION & SANITATION Group (NEMA/NESREA vanguard)
- To promote and sustain healthy environment
- To create awareness on sustainable environment, management and regeneration
- Tree planting
- Drainage Control
- Erosion Control
- Land Scaping
NYSC EDITORIAL/PUBLICITY CDS Group
- Compliment the activities of the NYSC PRO in disseminating Information to the Community
- Making presentation on mass media to enlighten people on socio-cultural education
CHARITY SERVICES & GENDER Group
- To improve the living standard of the downtrodden
- Charity outreaches to the public
- Mobilize funds and other resources for less privileged
- Visits of orphanages & prisons
- Donation of materials to homes
EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT GROUP (Mass Literacy, Adult Education, Extra Murals ICT)
- Enhance the Education Standard of the host community.
- Career guidance and counseling for students
- Campaign against Illiteracy
- Organizing Extra-mural classes for Adults
- Organizing of in-school programs
ANTI-CORRUPTION NYSC CDS GROUP (EFCC & ICPC)
- To help in eradicating corruption through Campaign
- Creation of awareness in schools and organizations
- Establish Anti-Corruption Corps members in schools
DISASTER MANAGEMENT Group (NEMA)
- To create awareness on disaster management
- To disseminate information on how to manage disasters through Corps Emergency Vanguards
- Public enlightenment on disaster management and control through the emergency Vanguards
- Liaison with NEMA on how to assist during emergencies
- Formation of emergency vanguard club in schools
DRUG-FREE & QUALITY CONTROL NYSC CDS Group (NDLEA, NAFDAC, SON)
- Eradication of fake and adulterated foods and drugs
- Create awareness of the danger of drug abuse
- Campaign and Sensitization
- Establishment of drug-free clubs in Schools
- Ensuring linkages with the host Communities
NYSC MEDICAL & HEALTH SERVICES CDS Group (Red Cross, Breast Without Spot, Polio Plus etc.)
- Promotion and provision of Medical Services
- Health outreach
- First Aid administration
- Establishment of Community based clinic
- Setting up of clinic for the NYSC Secretariat
Best NYSC CDS group
Telling you the best NYSC CDS group will somehow be subjective but I can, however, mention about ten of them that lots of Corp members have benefited immensely from with real testimonies.
See the list below:
- EFCC CDS
- HIV/AIDS CDS
- NEMA CDS
- Road Safety CDS
- Red Cross CDS
- NDLEA, NAFDAC CDS
- Editorial CDS
- Environmental CDS
- Cultural and Tourism CDS
- Medical and Health CDS
I believe I have come to the end of my list of NYSC CDS groups, you can make your choice from them and join one.