Here Is The Easy Money-Making Trick Everyone Is Talking About! Learn More Here!
Can you show me how to collect NYSC exemption certificate? How do I get my NYSC exemption certificate online? How do I print an exemption letter? How do you know you are exempted from NYSC? What is the difference between an NYSC certificate and an exemption letter? What is an exemption certificate? How do I find my NYSC certificate number? What is the difference between exemption and exclusion? Who are those exempted from NYSC? What does the exemption letter mean? How do I register for the NYSC exemption letter?
As long as you are a fresh graduate from a higher institution, then you don’t need to apply for an exemption certificate from the scheme.
It is the NYSC that determines if a graduate would be exempted or undergo the one-year programme.
According to section 2 of the NYSC Act, once you graduate, you are supposed to make yourself available for mobilisation. And you don’t apply for either an NYSC certificate or certificate of exemption, you present yourself for mobilisation.
So how do you know you are exempted from NYSC?
The system determines whether you are to be exempted or not.
So, according to the law, all those who graduated with effect from 1974, who studied abroad or in Nigeria, and are not above 30 years at the point of graduation, you are supposed to make yourself available for mobilisation and you will be deployed.
If you are above 30, you will be exempted.
The other category of graduates that will be exempted is those who have served in the Nigerian Police or the military for not less than nine months.
Also if you have an honours award or if you are with the defence or security (DSS, or NSO as it used to be called), these are the only people that have been exempted.
But even if you graduate at the age of 20, you are in the US, and you have not made yourself available to be mobilised, whenever you come back, even if you are 50 years old, you have to undergo the NYSC.
That is not to say you cannot apply for an NYSC exemption letter. You may do so if you have left school a long time ago and must have graduated above 30 years.
To simplify things, let me do a breakdown of eligibility for NYSC exemption.
NYSC Exemption Eligibility
The following categories of persons are exempted from NYSC and issued with the Certificates of Exemption.
- They should be over the age of thirty (30) years
- They should have served in the Armed Forces of the Federation or the Nigeria Police Force for a period of more than nine months; or
- They should be member of staff of any of the following:
- The Nigerian Security Organization or
- The State Security Service, or
- The National Intelligence Agency or
- The Defence Intelligence Service
- He has been conferred with any National Honour
Nigerian Graduates (either home or overseas trained) who have the stipulated qualification of (B.SC, B.A or HND) from approved or accredited Institution by (NUC, NTBE or NCCE) are eligible for Exemption Certificate. Foreign-trained graduates, on the other hand, must submit their Certificates to the Mobilization Department for Evaluation.
Before I go into how to collect NYSC exemption certificate, let’s thrash some salient issues first.
Disadvantages Of NYSC Exemption Letter
I don’t think it has any disadvantage at all as it can be used as a replacement for the NYSC certificate.
It’s a case of the scheme exempting you for reasons I have already mentioned above. So anywhere the NYSC certificate is been asked for, the NYSC exemption certificate can be used in its place. It’s that straightforward!
So you see the importance of the NYSC exclusion letter?
What is the difference between NYSC exemption letter and exclusion letter
What is exclusion letter in NYSC?
NYSC exclusion letter is meant for part-time students of any University in Nigeria or abroad. This set of graduates will not be called up for the NYSC orientation course. They don’t get a certificate of exemption either from the Scheme, what they will receive is a letter of exclusion.
And if you are wondering if you can get a job with NYSC exclusion letter then the answer is yes as long as your exclusion is as a result of you getting your degree as a part-time student, or you’re over 30years, or because you schooled abroad.
NYSC certificate of exemption, on the other hand, is for those who attended full-time higher institutions but graduated when they are above the age of 30. NYSC will automatically exempt you and send you a certificate of exemption.
As for foreign-trained graduates, the process begins with the evaluation of credentials and other related documents i.e. International passport.
After the evaluation of credentials, the foreign-trained graduate is then registered and this is physically done at the NYSC directorate headquarters, Abuja.
It is at the point of registration that the classification of who to be called up or who to be exempted; is determined.
Certificates of Exemption are therefore produced for those exempted from service.
Such Certificates of Exemption for foreign graduates are to be collected at the NYSC directorate headquarters at the stipulated time communicated.
Meanwhile, the collection of Certificate of Exemption is grouped under the three batches of the service year, depending on the date of registration.
This equally would be communicated to exempted graduates at the point of registration.
Collection of Certificate of Exemption is done strictly with identification such as International passport and you must be physically present.
Let’s now see how to collect NYSC exemption certificate.
How To Apply For NYSC Exemption Certificate
- To apply for a National Youth Services Corps Exemption Letter in person, the applicant needs to visit any of the National Youth Services Corps State Secretariat.
- The address and contact details of the NYSC State Secretariats can be found here
- Visit the office and obtain an application for a National Youth Services Corps Exemption Letter from the relevant department.
- Complete the application form with appropriate information under relevant sections. Attest it with your signature once completed.
- Once completed filling the application form, make sure that you attached all the documents listed in the “Required documents” section of this page.
- Then, submit it in person to the relevant authority at the office. Make the stipulated payment as directed by the officials.
- After submission, the application and other documents will be forwarded for examination and verification processes.
- Once the verification and validation processes are over, the application will be approved and the officials will proceed to take required steps to issue the Letter at your institution.
- When the document is ready to be collected, the applicant will be notified by the office and the applicant can collect it by any applicable means from his/her institution.
You will need the following documents though: completed application form, document for academic qualifications, approved result document, your Identity document (if required), any supporting document (as instructed).
How long does it take to get NYSC exemption letter?
Just as NYSC are preparing call up letters for those who are being deployed, the exemption certificate is prepared down as well. It doesn’t take any time at all.
But all things being equal, you should receive your NYSC exemption letter within two weeks of your colleagues arriving at the NYSC orientation camp.
How to print exemption letter from NYSC portal
Printing the NYSC exemption letter online is meant for both local and foreign-trained graduates who meet the exemption letter requirements. Just follow these simple steps below:
- Visit the official NYSC webpage portal
- After that, you will need to enter your account details – username and password to access your account.
- Once you are logged in, you will see an option for printing the letter.
Correction/Complain On NYSC Certificate
Complains and corrections of name, date of birth, etc on NYSC certificate for home trained graduates are to be routed through the Institutions of graduation. The school then forwards such cases with necessary attachments such as a photocopy of print-out to NYSC for the purpose of rectification or further necessary action.
As for foreign-trained graduates, they are to submit a handwritten application with the attachment of a photocopy of their International passport data page and original Certificate of Exemption to be addressed to the Director-General, NYSC NDHQ, Abuja, indicating their address and telephone number.
Replacement Of Lost NYSC Certificate
Have you asked yourself what you can do if you lost your NYSC certificate? Well, here is how to get a new NYSC certificate in case of loss; Certificate of Exemption inclusive.
- A letter of notification/request routed through the Institution of graduation and addressed to the Director-General, NYSC.
- Police Extract/Report
- Court Affidavit
- Where available, a copy of the lost Certificate of Exemption
- A letter of notification/request addressed to the Director-General, NYSC.
- Police Extract/Report
- Court Affidavit
- Photocopy of International passport
- Where available, the copy of the lost Certificate of Exemption
Note that NYSC does not reprint lost or burnt Certificates; Letters of Confirmation are issued instead.
So that’s all about how to collect NYSC exemption certificate.
This article was updated 4 months ago